Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting



Here I am, sitting in nearly complete silence (the slight hum of the kegerator is interrupting my silence. Or is that my name it's calling?....). Usually as I'm typing up recipes and going about my blogging business at this time of the day, I have Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN in the background and random nonsense coming out of my brother's mouth. I'm sure there's still nonsense coming out of his mouth, but since he moved out last week I just can't hear it. It's totally throwing off my morning routine. So bear with me.

By the way, whenever someone says "bear with me," this is what I picture.



I had a special request for some banana cake by one of my dearest, most amazing, life-long best friends. I made a version of this cake for her baby shower, which seems like yesterday. Her little one is now 17 months old. Heck, we've been best friends for almost 20 years, and our days of Dream Phone and neighborhood bike rides don't even seem that long ago. I can't believe how time flies. I actually baked my first from-scratch cake with her. It was an apple cake in third grade and we had the kitchen all to ourselves. We burnt it. It was amazing.

She is one of the hardest working, kindhearted, selfless and caring people I know, and has managed to raise her beautiful son to be a loving little boy. I'm so blessed to have them both in my life, let alone just down the road. I love you, Corrine Elizabeth and Trent Michael!


Banana Cake 
Adapted from Food.com

3 bananas, mashed
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 Tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup canola oil
2 cups packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp dark rum
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
A whole lot of love

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9" round pans. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stream in oil. Mix in eggs, one at a time, then add vanilla and rum. Add one cup of flour, baking soda and salt, and stir until just combined. Mix in the buttermilk, then add the rest of the flour. Don't forget to douse the whole thing in love. Divide batter between the two pans, and bake for 55-60 minutes. Cool before frosting. 


Peanut Butter Frosting

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
3 cups powdered sugar
3-4 Tbsp milk

Cream butter and peanut butter until well combined and lighter in color, 2-3 minutes on high. Slowly add in powdered sugar a little at a time until all 3 cups are added. Add milk a tablespoon at a time until frosting reaches desired consistency. 



Also! The other page I write for it up for an award by Saveur Magazine. If you get the chance, please head over there and vote for Honest Cooking! Thanks, y'all!

To vote, click here: http://www.saveur.com/food-blog-awards/vote.jsp?ID=1000013352

Have a fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment