Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

New Directions and Cooking Class Recap!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11.

I've been trying to wait for life to settle a bit before attempting regular blog posts again, but that clearly isn't happening. So here I am, in the midst of four very irregular jobs, and no idea what's in store for me over the next few months. But one thing that stays the same is my presence in the kitchen. And the gym. And church.

That being said, I'm going to change my approach to this blog a bit. I'll still post recipes (since that's what I do, duh.), but I'll incorporate stuff about my fitness (since I cheat on the kitchen by working out) and my journey with God since giving my life up to Him.

First things first, a recipe! But a healthy one, for reals this time. I know most people are not a fan of plain Greek yogurt (I've heard some liken it to eating chalk..I swear it's better than chalk!), but I have a recipe for a breakfast made with the stuff that'll change their minds.  I'm actually eating it right now. Actually, I eat it every day. It's THAT good! Have I convinced you yet? Probably not.

It's just one cup of plain nonfat Greek yogurt, 1 small chopped apple, 1 tablespoon uncooked oats and some cinnamon. That's it! Mix it all together and voila! The apple adds just enough sweetness without any added sugar.



Moving on from all this healthy talk, about a month ago I took a series of cooking classes with my mom at Rat's Restaurant (dream come true much?), and we used as much butter and salt and amazingly fattening delicious things as we wanted. Take a peak at what we made!


Roasted beet and fennel salad with apples, walnuts and shave ricotta salata and a Champagne vinaigrette



Crabcakes wrapped in zucchini 


In the most beautiful kitchen in the world! 


Filleting a red snapper


Baby octopus..mmmmm


Cleaning squid...oh hey, nice ink sack ;)



All that hard work to make some killer seafood risotto!


Braised short ribs with parsnip puree and brussel sprouts. Best. Meal. Ever.


Bruleeing!


Creme brulee. Oh la la. 


And finally, profiteroles. Delish!

We worked with Chef Shane Cash, who's probably the nicest guy in the world. And how could I forget, after every meal the sommelier (Alan, who's equally as awesome!) had the perfect wines to pair it with. Dinner and drinks every Tuesday for a month? Thanks, Mama for such a wonderful experience! 


I told you it was the most beautiful kitchen in the world! (Picture provided by Rat's Restaurant)


Up next, a review of a mini food tour through NYC with one of my best friends, The Native New Yorker! Now go check out her incredibly mouthwatering/entertaining/informative blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment