Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Lemon Poppyseed Pie with Almond Crust


As I'm sure with many people, lots of times I get ideas for recipes out of nowhere. A picture will pop up in my mind of something I have yet to create, and then I'm on an all-out quest to make it. At least I think this happens to everyone...(though I shouldn't assume as much...last time I had a similar thought it turned out I had this). Anyway, this recipe is a result of one of those mind pop-ups (brain spam?), and I'm really glad I went with it! Key lime pie is my all time fave, and this pie definitely has some of the same things going on. Nice and summery, and super easy to throw together!

Lemon Poppyseed Pie with Almond Crust
Original Recipe

Almond Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup ground almonds
7 Tbsp melted butter (I use salted)
2 Tbsp brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all ingredients in a bowl until well mixed. Press into a pie dish and bake for 7-8 minutes to harden slightly. Cool before adding filling (you can stick it in the fridge or freezer to speed this part up!)

Lemon Poppyseed Filling:
The juice of 5 lemons
6 egg yolks
1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp poppyseeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (if not already on from making the crust). Whisk lemon juice, egg yolks and condensed milk together. Mix in poppyseeds just before transferring to pie shell. Pour into cooled pie shell and bake for 30-35 minutes, until edges have mostly solidified (the middle will still be slightly loose). If it looks like the crust is browning too quickly, cover the pie with foil for the remainder of the baking time. Let cool and transfer to the fridge to firm up for at least 2 hours.

I topped mine with whipped cream! But straight out of the dish with a fork is always an acceptable option ;)

PS-sorry for the lack of pictures! Newer recipes will have more to look at!

No comments:

Post a Comment